Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Christian Fiction

What do you think about Christian fiction? Some might think the term is an oxymoron. After all, Christianity is about truth. Others insist that Christian fiction must follow a formula: a Gospel presentation, somebody gets saved, then on to a sin-free life.

On the issue of truth, I believe that stories are an effective way to portray and teach moral truth. The parables of Christ are the foremost example. Of course we don't know for sure if the events and characters in the parables are factual or metaphorical, but it does it really matter? The truth is revealed in the message either way. This is true of all enduring fiction whether it is secular as from the ancient Greek classics or from our beloved Christian writers like Tolkein or C.S. Lewis.

We know that the story of redemption is the greatest truth in the history of man, but the story goes beyond the moment when the Holy Spirit enables us to accept the Gospel truth. It includes the the denial of sin before salvation and the struggle with our remaining sinful nature afterward. This is why we can't restrict our stories to the Gospel—salvation—sanctified life formula.

I'm in the experimental phase of publishing Christian fiction. It's difficult for a small publisher with limited resources to promote. We have tree novels in print: PROWL by Gordan Runyan, a Tom Clancy type military adventure; LOST PULSE by Bill Shumaker, an historical fiction set in Nazi Germany; and THE ALBUQUERQUE AFFLICTION, by L.L. Byars, a murder mystery set in the modern southwest. I would appreciate some honest reviews. www.deovolente.net/ChristianFiction

3 comments:

  1. Funny but this is along the same lines as I was windering the other week on my own blog:
    http://unicorntreebooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-is-christian-ficton.html
    seems there are a few of us pondering this at the minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed some Christian fiction. Mostly different book series Jerry Jenkins & Tim LaHaye. I find that it's way to "see" Scripture in use in a story. It introduces perspective, questions, answers, people dynamics, etc. that can be applied to real Christian life. If I read something I am unfamiliar with, I'm compelled to research it beyond what the book has mentioned.

    One of my favorite books is Randy Alcorn's "Lord Foulgrin's Letters". Very insightful on the temptations we face and how evil does exist to keep us from God or keep us from sharing the Gospel.

    The rest of my reading is generally homeschool, parenting, Bible Study, American etc, but most of it is from professing Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christian fiction and would love to write it but I feel that I am stuck. BUT, I would certainly be willing to read and review a good mystery for you. Are you sending out review copies? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete